Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 3D Smart Dimension Behavior, Some Questions

cborer
post Apr 1 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #41

TriBall

Group: Community Members
Member No.: 203

I think we should cut this discussion from the 3d smart dimension discussion that Cary originally started here. smile.gif
So this thread has a totally different story.

What belongs to me:
For me its fine if people can use this ribbon thing as long as I can work with the old UI which means less clicks, more space, better overview.

I really do not care.
To me the only important thing is that IC develops the construction tools, and I really hope on a big step in 2012

...and congratulation to the IC birthday, we all love it and hope to get old with it! smile.gif
Carlo
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronKevin
post Apr 1 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #42

TriBall

Group: IronCAD Employees
Member No.: 27,213

Thank you all, these are very thought out responses and we have plenty to consider for the future.

One last thought...

How many of you drive a manual transmission vehicle daily?

Manual is faster, more responsive and fuel efficient (I think), and cheaper/simpler to repair/replace.

Why don't you buy them?

With V9/V10, I was literally asked weekly, "why don't you update this old style UI?" Furthermore, I'm 100% sure the 10-20 of you who joined this thread would be hard pressed to come to a collective agreement on what the ideal IronCAD UI would be wink.gif

Now trying getting an agreement from 35000 users !
+Quote Post
mwalls558626
post Apr 1 2011, 01:48 PM
Post #43

Polygon

Member No.: 38,086

Ha, Ha.......Careful Kevin, I have a standard transmission auto, as well as an automatic! I don't think this is a good example though, but that is another story.

Your comment of hearing weekly from others about why don't you change this old UI, was certainly NOT made by people that are making a living using Ironcad all day long. And if you ever were to put two people side by side with the two interfaces, you would quickly have the guy in front of the Newer UI going, Man, how did you get that done so fast?????

I don't envy your trying to please everyone, as it is a constant, pretty much unobtainable goal, but I just would hate to see the old UI go.

I have used this product since it was Trispectives, and while my joining date in this forum does not reflect my real length of time with the product, I have been making a living using it for quite awhile, and have done so along side many other CAD systems. I think I, like others who have been using CAD for along time, have a good idea what works, and what doesn't, and I think you can tell by the responses we are fairly passionate about this. Any changes you make, really do affect what we do for a living. It's not a part time thing for me and many others, so do not forget that when making your decisions. The old UI just works!

Happy Birthday, and thanks for a great product!

Mike
+Quote Post
EricFoy
post Apr 2 2011, 02:11 AM
Post #44

Unregistered

QUOTE(IronKevin @ Apr 1 2011, 11:36 AM)
Thank you all, these are very thought out responses and we have plenty to consider for the future.
One last thought...

How many of you drive a manual transmission vehicle daily?

Manual is faster, more responsive and fuel efficient (I think), and cheaper/simpler to repair/replace.

Why don't you buy them?
With V9/V10, I was literally asked weekly, "why don't you update this old style UI?"  Furthermore, I'm 100% sure the 10-20 of you who joined this thread would be hard pressed to come to a collective agreement on what the ideal IronCAD UI would be  wink.gif 

Now trying getting an agreement from 35000 users !

Kevin:
How many Indy cars have won with an automatic transmission?
How many automatics are currently running the Nascar circuit?

These are cars that are built for one purpose: to win races. You don't find many Formula cars, Grand Prix, or Rally cars with automatic transmissions, because for all their benefits and technological wonder, automatic transmissions are not good at winning races. they are, however, very good at offering mass-appeal, and selling cars.

I understand your need to offer mass-appeal, and to sell software. Seriously. I do. And the more you sell, the more I benefit from that. But what is now obvious to me is that, whereas you are building a luxury sedan (and you need to), we are asking you to build a race car.

We want you to leave the carpet out. Leave out most of the sound deadener. Give us a twin-clutch manual with tip-tronic shifters, NOT an automatic. I want to know what gear it's in, and I don't want it ever to shift until I tell it to. Catch my drift?

Speaking of drift, I do NOT want traction control. That's just another word for "delayed acceleration." Ten years ago I would have said, No ABS. It wasn't good enough yet. Now it's probably a good thing (actually, so is traction control today, so I take that back).

And yes, I do in fact drive a car with a five speed manual, every day. cool.gif
+Quote Post
cborer
post Apr 2 2011, 02:46 AM
Post #45

TriBall

I see there are a lot of car enthusiastics in this forum. smile.gif

But this sample was unhappy positioned by Kevin sorry to say that.

Old UI (one click/easy overview/ more space on screen) = Automatic
New UI ( less space / confusingly / more clicks / not adjustable) = manual transmission.

Unfortunately in this case the older, automatic race car is faster. blink.gif

Take it easy, no shame, many products take this way see Windows:
XP to Vista cool.gif

This post has been edited by cborer: Apr 2 2011, 02:49 AM
+Quote Post
cborer
post Apr 2 2011, 02:54 AM
Post #46

TriBall

PS one thing I like on the new UI is the big round IC button in the left upper corner.
This is easy and fast overview. smile.gif
+Quote Post
IronKevin
post Apr 2 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #47

TriBall

I smile each time I read this thread, this is a very productive thread and will be referred to by many within our company. I thank each of you for your contributions, this is the beauty of the democratic nature of this company/product. We have to argue a bit to fine tune the vision.
+Quote Post
cborer
post Apr 2 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #48

TriBall

Thanks Kevin for the sportive spirit! smile.gif
I think thats the way to take it.
Best
Carlo
+Quote Post
IronKevin
post Apr 11 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #49

TriBall

QUOTE(snelson @ Mar 29 2011, 12:11 PM)

With the instability of the toolbars and the need to delete the xml files all the time, i sure dont want to recreate that one big custom ribbon just because an xml file got corrupted or whatever happens to them.

One extra note on this.

1. Get your UI all set.
2. Close IronCAD.
3. Mack a backup copy of the XML files.
4. If they ever go bad, restore from backup, nothing to recreate.

IronCAD 2011 XML file locations:
Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\login-name\Application Data\IronCAD\IRONCAD\13.0\en-us\Customization\

Windows Vista/7:
C:\Users\login-name\AppData\Roaming\IronCAD\IRONCAD\13.0\en-us\Customization\
+Quote Post
Mike Allen
post May 9 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #50

I-Beam

Group: Expired
Member No.: 1,181

QUOTE(IronKevin @ Apr 11 2011, 03:30 PM)

Hey Kevin, how did you manage to post this from the future? Is IronCAD working on a method of time travel? biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
dberge
post Jul 29 2013, 08:19 AM
Post #51

Cylinder

Member No.: 37,083

old ui is best for me too(using is sinds ic3.0), i hope it will never disappear.......
+Quote Post

3 Pages < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

All content copyright IronCAD 2000-2008 Low-Bandwidth View Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 02:45 AM